VI News Staff 1 year ago

Armed gangs in Haiti attack three news outlets in coordinated assault

Armed gangs launched coordinated attacks on three major media outlets in Haiti’s capital over the weekend, escalating concerns over press freedom and the government’s ability to maintain order.

The wave of violence began on March 13 when gangs set fire to the headquarters of Radio Télévision Caraïbe (RTVC) on Rue Chavannes. Hours later, Radio Mélodie FM was also targeted. By March 16, gangs stormed Télé Pluriel in Delmas 19, looting equipment before torching the building.

Prime Minister Alix Didier Fils Aimé swiftly condemned the attacks, vowing to take decisive action against criminal groups.

“These brazen assaults on the press are an attempt to silence independent journalism,” Fils Aimé said in a March 13 statement. “In collaboration with the Haitian National Police, we are reinforcing security measures to protect media institutions and ensure citizens’ safety.”

Despite the government’s pledge, gangs continue to tighten their grip on Port-au-Prince, particularly in Carrefour-Feuilles, Delmas, and downtown, where residents have issued urgent pleas for protection.


READ MORE:

U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS WEATHER

St Vincent approved to export to medical marijuana as UK delays BVI

VI News Staff
4 years ago

V.I. Department of Education Provides Update on Territory-Wide Tablet...

The Virgin Islands Department of Education (VIDE) previously announced the arrival of 1,58...

VI News Staff
2 years ago

Step Street, Blackbeard, Portico Project Approved

VI News Staff
1 year ago

Work On Dominica’s International Airport To Advance, PM Says

VI News Staff
2 years ago

‘Gods of the Universe: Rise of the Star Child’: Set for the Caribbean...

VI News Staff
7 months ago