VI News Staff 1 year ago

Facing Federal Charges, Man Who Shot Mother and Daughter Says He Acted in Self Defense

Miguel Marrero, charged in federal and local courts, alleges accidental shooting while blinded by blood during altercation

ST. CROIX — In addition to the charges against him currently pending in the V.I. Superior Court, criminal proceedings against Miguel Marrerro — the man who admitted to shooting two people at the Candido Guadeloupe housing community last week — have also commenced in District Court of the Virgin Islands.

Attached to a complaint filed on July 5 is an affidavit provided by a special agent of the Department of Homeland Security, detailing the incident as reported by witnesses and officers of the V.I. Police Department.

‌According to the affidavit, while Marrero admitted to shooting the two individuals, he said that it was inadvertent. During the altercation between his son and the minor girl, he said that her mother ran up to him and punched him in the eye. He reportedly told police that the woman’s ring caused him to bleed, rendering him unable to see. Allegedly blinded by blood in both eyes, Marrero told police that he nevertheless noticed several people running towards him, and thus drew his firearm and fired several shots, ostensibly as a deterrent. That was when he saw the woman fall to the ground, the suspect told investigators.

READ MORE:

U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS WEATHER

USVI Elementary and Middle Schools Celebrate Student Promotions at Ann...

VI News Staff
2 years ago

Mark Your Calendars: VI Lit Fest's 10th Anniversary Set For April 11-1...

This year, the Virgin Islands Literary Festival and Book Fair is teaming up with The Carib...

VI News Staff
2 years ago

Panicked Arkansas grocery store shoppers hid in freezer and ran for co...

VI News Staff
1 year ago

Bayer Leverkusen produces astonishing comeback to go 49 games unbeaten...

VI News Staff
2 years ago

Active 2025 Hurricane Season With 56% Caribbean and 51% U.S. Landfall...

VI News Staff
1 year ago