VI News Staff 2 years ago

Permanent Closure Announced for Bolongo Bay Trash Disposal Facility Days After On-Site Homicide

ST. THOMAS — The V.I. Waste Management Authority announced Monday night the permanent closure of the Bolongo Bay bin site, a move coming just days after an employee was shot and killed while on the job at the waste disposal facility.

The authority did not provide reasons for this action, but said the closure will take effect this Wednesday, August 16.

Residents are advised to utilize the Brookman Road or Nadir bin sites for the disposal of household trash, or the Bovoni landfill.

Reports started coming in on Friday afternoon that a man had been shot to death at the Bolongo Bay waste disposal site. The victim was identified as 39-year-old Daryn Hodge, a WMA employee. He was reportedly at his work station when he was shot and killed. 

READ MORE: VI CONSORTIUM

U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS WEATHER

Roughly 700K plastic bottles diverted from BVI’s waste stream

VI News Staff
1 year ago

St. Croix Educational Complex Celebrates 'Muffins With Mom' With Aim o...

VI News Staff
2 years ago

Legislature Approves December 6th as Alicia “Chucky” Hansen Day to Hon...

VI News Staff
1 year ago

Social Security wrongly told disabled people and some seniors their be...

VI News Staff
1 year ago

Reggae legend Cocoa Tea dies at 65 in Fort Lauderdale

VI News Staff
1 year ago