VI News Staff 4 years ago
VINStaff Verified #worldnews

Third case of Ebola detected in northwestern DRC, WHO says

Health authorities in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) have identified a third case of Ebola in the city of Mbandaka, the World Health Organization said Thursday.

The patient is a 48-year-old man deemed a "high-risk" contact of the first Ebola patient identified in the DRC's latest outbreak, who died on April 21, according to an official Twitter post from the WHO Africa Region.

"Responders have identified 444 contacts and continue to monitor their health," it said.

DRC authorities declared a new outbreak in the country's northwestern Equateur Province on April 22.

A second victim of the virus died on April 25, after experiencing symptoms for more than a week, the WHO said last week.

The victim, a 25-year-old woman, was the first casualty's sister-in-law.

The first patient began experiencing symptoms on April 5 and sought treatment at a local health facility before being admitted to an Ebola treatment center on April 21 for intensive care, the WHO stated. He died later that day, the organization confirmed.

Vaccinations have since commenced in Mbandaka with 281 people vaccinated so far, according to the WHO's last published figures on inoculation.

READ MORE: CNN


U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS WEATHER

Education Department Scrambles to Fix Communication Failures After St....

VI News Staff
1 year ago

WAPA Not Hurricane Ready, and Other PSC Revelations

VI News Staff
2 years ago

'Department of Hindrance Services': Senators Lambaste DHS for Lack of...

VI News Staff
3 years ago

Acting FEMA Director Fired by Trump Administration

VI News Staff
1 year ago

‘Here we go again:’ Hurricane Milton strengthens to Category 4 and aim...

VI News Staff
1 year ago